Saturday, October 6, 2012

Tangents & Tirades: Abroad Edition

So since I haven't really been up to much this week, other than completing a lot of schoolwork and having to blow my nose every 5 minutes, I've decided to ramble a bit about what is on my mind. So far, I've mentioned a lot of experiences, mostly positive and influential during my time here in Prague, but it's time to have a bit of fun.  For those fellow Providence College friends, you probably got a sense of what this blog would be about, referencing the school newspaper, The Cowl. For those who don't know, the title of this blog refers to a column in the newspaper where students comment on certain issues and topics of discussion (mainly negative or funny complaints). So I'm going to give it a go. WARNING: This is not meant to offend anyone or anything, and I'm trying to put a little humor into my experiences.

KEEP YOUR BALANCE. I find my daily commute quite enjoyable. I always manage to get a seat before it gets too crowded, and people have to stand and hold onto the rails. I like to look out the window, stare out into the nature and city as it passes by. I simply put my backpack on the ground in between my legs, put my earbuds in, and listen to some music throughout the commute. It's very relaxing... until someone falls on top of me. Yes, people love to fall on top of Kyle. When the tram gets too crowded, people are forced to squeeze tighter into the aisle and hold on to the railings. Lucky for me, I always manage to get the not-so-smart commuters. Three times I've had people fall on me once the tram starts going. As soon as the tram moves from the stop, it jolts forward, sending everyone backward. So naturally, I'm always finding people fall abruptly into my lap, grabbing my pants to break their fall, and coming real close to my "jewels." I'm tired of it. Get a grip, hold on, and brace yourself, because these native Czechs have been here longer than I have, and you should know the transportation by now.

NIGHTTIME TROUBLES. In my lovely room on the top floor of the house I'm in, I have a really cozy setup with a nice skylight window. I close it every night before I go to bed.  However, there have been times when I encounter some real difficultly within the room. On multiple occasions, I spent hours trying to kill mosquitoes at night.  Listening for their every move and smashing them when I finally find them.  I woke up one time with the biggest mosquito bite I've ever had the size of my big toe. So I make it a point, not to leave the window open too long. Another thing, there is a create in the neighboring house next door. I don't know what it is, but it sounds like a cat on steroids who has a bad case of bronchitis.  It makes this weird growling noise, and it reminds me very much of the Gremlins when they are exposed to water. It's not pleasing and kind of scares me. Lastly, there are the dogs.  Now, I love dogs. I'm a dog person. And I see so many well-trained, cute dogs here, everyday. But, at night, once one dog barks, the whole dog population of Prague barks too. They don't even bark back and forth to one another. It's just an overlap of horrible dog barks and whines. So please, go the f*ck to sleep.

TAKE A PICTURE, IT WILL LAST LONGER. One thing I learned about Czech people is that, they love to stare. Stare, stare, stare. It doesn't stop. On the bus. On the tram. while you're walking. Getting coffee. Eating dinner. On the metro. On the phone. Whatever. I know that I'm a handsome guy, but I don't get it. Do I have a sign on my forehead that says "American tourist"? No, I don't. So you know what I do? I stare back. I make them feel how uncomfortable it is. And I get a better glimpse of how Czech people dress. Haha.

ICE? WHAT'S ICE? So since I've gotten here, let me say there is no ice. I'm waiting for winter, so the snow can fall down and I can collect snow or put my drinks in the snow to stay cold.  Back in America, I love ice in everything. My soda, my water, my coffee, my wine, an ice-cold beer, my juice, etc.  Here, there is no such thing. I have not had one iced coffee since Dunkin Donuts back on Long Island. The wine I get here is lukewarm, along with the water and soda.  The beer is a colder temperature, but not cold enough. I'm thinking about going out and by my own freezer to get ice cubes for myself. Donations welcome.

BOOZE IS BACK. For those of you who have been under the Czech radar, there was a prohibition that started since the second week of my stay here in Prague.  It didn't phase me that much because I was too busy enjoying the beer at the pubs.  The beer here is the best I've ever tasted, but I can only have so much of it.  See, I'm not a beer guy, I'm a hard liquor/wine kinda guy.  I like my mixed rum and coke, or my Malibu pineapple mix, or anything with some Tequila.  The problem was that there was a poisonous car substance, used in car fluids, exposed to the hard alcohol chain and production.  So up until three days ago, it's back! I was so happy, I went with a couple of friends and had a nice round of drinks.  Quite enjoyable and tasty. I do love Captain and coke the best!

Well, I think that's enough to go off on. Tomorrow, I go with my host family to a family reunion party in South Bohemia for the day.  Then, Sunday, my Aunt Diana is visiting with her girlfriends, and I will be showing her around for the day! I'm so excited! It's going to be great to see a family member! A sign of life from America. Haha. Ahoj!

No comments:

Post a Comment