Friday, September 7, 2012

First Week, Czech!

As my first week comes to a close, it's time for me to move on and start an official routine for my stay here in Prague. First off, let me say that Bassnectar was mind-blowing, loud, and insane. Halfway through the concert, my ears were literally in pain from the bass that was going through my body.  I thought I was going to be deaf by the end.  His hair was quite something too (just thought I should comment on it, due to the fact he looks like a heavy metal male rupunzel). Anyway, I got home at a decent time last night, but waking up was hard this morning.
Once out of bed, I was good to go.  Went to school and had my last Czech lesson for the week.  Interesting fact: My Czech teacher, Martina, is a popular Czech singer, who has a beautiful voice.  I'm getting a copy of her CD right away.  After Czech lessons, we had our first Czech Civil Society class with a very interesting teacher.  He was very enthusiastic about the Czech Republic and its' history, which made it very interesting for me.  I have a list of facts I wanted to write, but I'll save that for another blog post. 

Once school was over, it was back to the hotel to get ready for the formal dinner with my host family.  I got ready, put on some nice darker jeans, a belt, my new J.Crew blue button down shirt, and my brown/blue knit striped tie.  Trying to make a good first impression, I really wasn't that nervous until I was sitting in the chair at the restaurant, waiting for them to walk through the doorway.  This was going to be the first time I was meeting the family that was going to invite me into their home for a semester: making my meals, introducing me into their home, customs, routines, and travels. Scary, but exciting.

They walked in, Petr and Jana (pronounced Peet-ter and Yah-nah), so cheery and welcoming.  I was greeted right away, and we all sat down at a table and talked for the evening.  They live away from the center of Prague, and have a lot of family.  (I can't give much information away, as it might be rude to post something without permission) So what I can say, is that, we talked about studies, hobbies, family, travel, cooking, history, and some other things. It was very nerve-racking, but exciting at the same time.  I am very happy with them, and I cannot wait to move in tomorrow.  They are coming to pick me up in the morning, from the hotel, and then I will stay with them for the rest of my stay. Amazing.

I ended my evening the right way, with a walk across the Charles Bridge at night.  It was my first time walking along the bridge and seeing the castle lit up at night, so I wanted to go by myself. It was breath-taking. Outstanding. It was the perfect temperature out, beautiful sky, reflection in the river, and a magnificent castle in the distance.  It was so liberating, and beautiful. Just the cherry on top of a perfect night. Enjoy the photo I took on Instagram below, tomorrow I move into my new home.


No comments:

Post a Comment