Friday, December 14, 2012

Mission Complete: Prague

This is it. The last day. I decided to wander into a cafe near Wenceslas Square to write this last blog post in Prague.  In less than 24 hours, I'll be up in the air, probably next to some foreigner, trying to watch a movie comfortably and peacefully.  I'm in shock at how fast the time has passed.  I keep having flashbacks to my final moments at Providence College last semester, my last days in Ocean Beach on Fire Island, and saying goodbye to all my family and friends that last day of August.  Now, I'm coming home, and it feels so good.  I miss all of it.  It's like I stepped out of my body for a couple months, did something unthinkable, and made it a wonderful experience.  But it was all me, all real, and all encompassing throughout my journey.

The past couple days, me and my wonderful classmates traveled to a little village in Janov (North Czech Republic) with our Academic Director, Sarah.  We spent Wednesday-Friday morning there, evaluating, preparing, and reminiscing about our experience.  Located in a little pension all by ourselves, we lounged in the cafe/restaurant downstairs near the fireplace, talking about our first impressions, the moments we've made together, the classes and work we took part in, and the excursions to other countries.  I can honestly say that I will never have enough time to do everything I want here, but for the semester-long time range, I think I did more than I've ever expected.  I was packing my things and came across all these tickets, pamphlets, and memorabilia that made me think of each moment here.  I'm keeping all of it.  I want to.  Even though I'm come home with another suitcase full of stuff, I have collected many things that will remind me of my time here.  In these last days up north, we (me and my classmates) enjoyed family dinners, funny moments, and Christmas movies throughout the day.  It was a great way to relax and enjoy each other's company as a whole, one more time.

While reflecting, I realized that this was my experience.  I can try to share as much of it as possible with all of you, but it will never compare to what I've felt, encountered, experienced, and lived with during the time I was in Prague.  The only people who can relate are my classmates, but I guess that's what makes it special for me.  It is my own experience.  A chapter of my life that has started and closed in the blink of an eye.  And I'm thankful for all of it, so much.  I want to send a special thanks to my mom and dad who supported me for this trip, this experience; something everyone should do at some point or another in their lifetime.  And I want to thank my Mema and Umpa, both who have inspired me to travel and explore the world.  There wasn't a moment that I didn't think about all of these people, and how thankful I am to have them in spirit with me while in Prague.

Tonight, I will pack the final things, enjoy a farewell dinner with my host family, and go out for one last round of drinks with the gang.  I also want to say how thankful I am to Jana and Petr (my host parents) for making this experience just as great, and opening up their home for me.  It will be hard to say goodbye to them, and my classmates tonight.  Tomorrow, I leave for the airport at 9:00am Prague time, and I'll be back in New York around 6:00pm (EST) (because I'm going 'back in time').  I can't wait to see everyone, so please, don't hesitate to contact me and meet up over winter break.

New York, here I come.

Me in the freezing cold town of Janov.  So much snow, I couldn't feel my legs.

The gang altogether for one of the last group photos. All smiles. Going to miss them.

The view outside my window in the pension.  So pretty and scenic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment