Saturday, December 8, 2012

Down to the Last Week

Well, the countdown has officially begun.  The last seven days of my stay here in Prague are starting now, and I couldn't be more happy with everything I have done here.  It seems like just yesterday that I was leaving my house, heading to the JFK airport and looking out the window on the plane to see the view down below.  When I first arrived, I had no idea what to expect, and there were so many questions unanswered for me: where would I be staying, who is my host family, where is the school located, what is their currency like?  Now, I can answer mostly anything.  Although my Czech language is only basic, I've learned to understand the culture in more ways than one.

Even though there are only 10 of us students in the program, I've enjoyed every minute with them.  They're great people, and I hope I get to see them at some point or another in the states.  We come from all over, Pennsylvania, Oregon, Colorado, Maine, Illinois, and so on.  It will be hard, but we're all going to stay in touch.  Apart from the group, I found myself becoming much more independent than ever before.  I thought my independence was challenged when I first left for college 2 years ago, but boy was I wrong.  I mean, yes there were challenges going away to Providence College, but I made friends, a new family, and I got to see my real family about once a month.  Today marks the 100th day I've been away from home (I just counted).  Since then, I have traveled into the city everyday, navigating the streets on my own, taking long walks along the cobblestone, popping into different bars and cafes, and looking at all that Prague has to offer.  School was school, and once classes finished, I spent almost everyday alone.  I woke up in the mornings, went into the city center, and always found myself doing something different.  I've learned to trust myself, rely on myself, and enjoy the time I've had alone.  When I first arrived in the Czech Republic, I was definitely nervous, being in a foreign country, with no idea how to speak the language, pay for a cup of coffee, or travel from point A to point B.  Now, I know the basic language skills to get me around, I have spent my money wisely throughout my stay, and I am more than confident with directions here.  It's interesting because I spent my days with my backpack and my thoughts, exploring the city, and becoming somewhat socially independent.  I'm the kind of guy that likes to make small talk with strangers, meet up with friends when I'm not busy, and plan all kinds of activities.  Here, all of that was limited.  I don't know the language well enough to make best friends here, the Czech culture is very direct so the strangers are very forward with you, and it was hard to find other people to meet up with, so there were many times when it was just me, myself, and my thoughts.  I had plenty of time to focus on my studies, work on my final project, and explore the city on my own.  I couldn't rely on anyone except myself, and that was okay.

Now it's the final week, and of course I am looking forward to having some of my independence revoked.  I miss my family and friends, my house, being able to drive, planning get-together's with friends, etc.  I'm giving everyone a fair warning, because once I'm home, there is a part of me that is going to be released, and I'll want to be around someone all the time.  It's hard being on your own, but it also makes you appreciate everyone and everything that is valuable to you.  And I can say, that has been one of the most important lessons I've learned here.

7 days. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment